Important Attendance Information
At Launceston College we aim for students to be happy, successful and responsible. Regular attendance at College is a vital part of students doing well and has been shown to have a huge impact on achievement. Excellent and improving attendance is recognised through rewards and incentives, each term and each year. We recognise the crucial role that you play in supporting your child to do well and would like to thank you for all that you do to ensure that your child comes to College each day.
We request that parents/guardians:
- work with us to ensure their child’s attendance is the best it can possibly be and attend meetings if and when needed
- ensure that their child arrives at College on time and positively encourage punctuality to all lessons as a life skill
- phone the College office before 9 am every day of absence, giving the reason for the absence and an indication of when the student will be returning to College. If unable to phone in College hours, an answer service is available outside College hours
- contact your child’s tutor or Head of House if the reason for absence is caused by something other than illness: e.g. worry about College work, friendship problems
- understand that Launceston College has to decide whether an absence is authorised or unauthorised. (Please note that the College cannot now authorise holidays in term time following Government legislation)
- support us in only allowing students to be absent for reasons that the College would authorise, e.g. illness, bereavement, emergency dental work and not allow students to stay home for reasons that that we would not authorise, e.g. shopping trip, hair appointment, birthday treat
- make all routine dental and medical appointments out of College hours or in the holidays as far as possible. Avoid whole day absences for Orthodontist appointments (which we realise are often scheduled during the school day)
Please note COVID related absences should be reported to Attendance on 01566-771850 or firstname.lastname@example.org Parents who may be struggling to support their child to be in College each day, and where attendance has fallen below 95%, will be contacted to offer support.
Should you wish to talk to someone about your child’s attendance then please contact Mrs Cordelia Preece, Attendance Officer or your child’s Head of House in the first instance on 01566 772468.
A link to the latest government guidance on attendance and an outline of our attendance procedures is available on our website should you wish to know more.
Thank you again for all your support.